[APIM] Micro gateway request summary report generation feature

[APIM] Micro gateway request summary report generation feature

Chamila Adhikarinayake
Hi All,

We are planning to add $subject for APIM 2.6 to collect microgateway request count. This information can be used as a parameter for billing purposes since it is not practical to get the microgateway instance count.

This report generation UI will be added under the "Microgateway" section in the Admin portal. Following is the sample UI which can be used to generate the report. The user can select the number of months as the parameter to generate the report,

This feature will be only enabled if the analytics is enabled in APIM side. We have updated the event streams generated by the gateway nodes to send an identification about the gateway type. (to filter out micro gateway events from the synapse gateways). All these events are handled by the new SP APIM analytics implementation. Report generation will be done using the aggregated data tables from the SP (monthly data tables).

Sample report generated for this can be found in the attachment (Report.pdf).

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions

Thanks
Chamila

Chamila Adhikarinayake
Mobile - +94712346437
Email  - [hidden email]

Report.pdf (9K) Download Attachment

Re: [APIM] Micro gateway request summary report generation feature

Nuwan Dias
Can't we give them an option to select a month instead of giving them an option for past X months only? Basically a date picker with just months enabled.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 7:45 PM Chamila Adhikarinayake <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Director - WSO2, Inc. http://wso2.com
Phone : +94 777 775 729

Re: [APIM] Micro gateway request summary report generation feature

Sasikala Kottegoda
Hi Nuwan,

IMO, selecting the past X months will be the right option. Normally, the use case will be to see how the request counts changed throughout several months rather than knowing the particular count for a single month.

Small suggestion, is it possible to draw a graph with along with the numbers? Graphical representation results in easier comparison throughout a persiod.

Thank you,
Sasikala

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 8:06 PM Nuwan Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Senior Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com/
lean. enterprise. middleware

Mobile: +94 774835928

https://wso2.com/signature

Re: [APIM] Micro gateway request summary report generation feature

Pubudu Gunatilaka-2
Hi Chamila,

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 8:06 PM Nuwan Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can't we give them an option to select a month instead of giving them an option for past X months only? Basically a date picker with just months enabled.

+1 for date picker with months.

Is there a way we can get more fine grained information from the report? If we look at the report, it only shows the total number of requests came to the microgateway. In most of cases, APIs will be deployed in the private jet mode or groups of APIs. IMHO, by looking at this report, the user should be able to get an idea about the number of requests that came to a particular an API. From those details, he should be able to take decisions such as follows.

1. Decouple APIs and deploy in private jet mode
2. Increase the resources for the microgateway (Scale up/down)
3. Group APIs considering the request count

It would be great if we can add API details to this report.

Thank you!

[...]

Pubudu Gunatilaka
Committer and PMC Member - Apache Stratos
Senior Software Engineer
WSO2, Inc.: http://wso2.com
mobile : <a href="javascript:void(0);" value="+94772207163" style="font-size:x-small;color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">+94774078049

Re: [APIM] Micro gateway request summary report generation feature

Fazlan Nazeem
Hi Chamila,

Noticed a slight misspelling in the title of the page(Summery -> Summary).

[...]

Hi Pubudu,

The original purpose of this report is to get the total request count of the micro-gateway for the billing purpose. Other information is not needed for this task. This report is mainly important for the wso2 side to identify the micro-gateway usage. If the user wants to get more fine-grain information, he could use the graphs in the publisher/store or he could create custom gadgets

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Pubudu Gunatilaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chamila,

[...]

mobile : +94774078049

Chamila Adhikarinayake
Mobile - +94712346437
Email  - [hidden email]

Re: [APIM] Micro gateway request summary report generation feature

Ishara Cooray
Hi Chamila,

We are planning to add $subject for APIM 2.6 to collect microgateway request count. This information can be used as a parameter for billing purposes since it is not practical to get the microgateway instance count.

1. Will this report generate no of requests received to a particular microgateway or to all the microgateways?
From the suggested admin portal UI, it depicts that it is for all the available microgateways.

2. Is it possible to generate reports per gateway and/or per API?

3. IMO if it is the total no of requests, wondering how the no of requests will add a value for billing.

Thanks & Regards,
Ishara Cooray
Senior Software Engineer
Mobile : +9477 262 9512