Call vs Callout mediator performance

Chandana Napagoda-2
Hi Devs,

WSO2 EI product documentation states that[1] call mediator has greater performance than callout mediator.  As per my understanding callout mediator has a limitation that its only allow two simultaneous connections per host. However, we can mitigate that limitation by adding "defaultMaxConnectionsPerHost" configuration[2].

After adding above configuration does Callout mediator perform same as Call mediator for less load per the same host? Is there any performance round results for Callout vs Call scenario(blocking and non blocking)?

[1]. The Call mediator leverages the non-blocking transports for much greater performance than the Callout mediator, so you should use the Call mediator in most cases.

Re: Call vs Callout mediator performance

Isuru Udana
Hi Chandana,

In latest EI/ESB versions, defaultMaxConnectionsPerHost is already set to 200. That will solve the concurrency problem.
In Callout mediator, engine resources (threads) kept waiting for backend to respond whereas in Call mediator (in non-blocking mode) threads get released once request is submitted to the backend.
So due to the non-blocking nature of underlying transport implementation used in Call mediator, we could expect higher performance in Call mediator.

Thanks.

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Chandana Napagoda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Devs,

WSO2 EI product documentation states that[1] call mediator has greater performance than callout mediator.  As per my understanding callout mediator has a limitation that its only allow two simultaneous connections per host. However, we can mitigate that limitation by adding "defaultMaxConnectionsPerHost" configuration[2].

After adding above configuration does Callout mediator perform same as Call mediator for less load per the same host? Is there any performance round results for Callout vs Call scenario(blocking and non blocking)?

[1]. The Call mediator leverages the non-blocking transports for much greater performance than the Callout mediator, so you should use the Call mediator in most cases.

Isuru Udana
Senior Technical Lead
WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
email: [hidden email] cell: +94 77 3791887
blog: http://mytecheye.blogspot.com/

Re: Call vs Callout mediator performance

Chandana Napagoda-2
Hi Isuru,

So, the only advantage over Callout mediator is that, the worker threads can serve other incoming requests than waiting for backend response. Does my understanding is correct?

Is there any other advantages of the underlying library used by call mediator?

Regards,
Chandana

On 14 December 2017 at 12:02, Isuru Udana <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

email: [hidden email] cell: <a href="tel:+94%2077%20379%201887" value="+94773791887" target="_blank">+94 77 3791887
blog: http://mytecheye.blogspot.com/