GSoC 2017 Project proposal 6: Eclipse plugin for Siddhi

1234 ... 6

GSoC 2017 Project proposal 6: Eclipse plugin for Siddhi

Udeshika Sewwandi
Hi,
I am Udeshika Sewwandi, a final year undergraduate of Department of Computer Science and Engineering of University of Moratuwa. I am interested with the GSoC 2017 Proposal 6: "Eclipse plugin for Siddhi" .I'm going through the references provided for the project and can you please direct me to the responsible mentors to get more familiarize with the project. We are going to integrate WSO2 CEP for my final year project. So I thought of contributing to Siddhi which will be useful for future Siddhi users. Thank you.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

--
K.A.U.Sewwandi
Undergraduate

Re: GSoC 2017 Project proposal 6: Eclipse plugin for Siddhi

Nirmal Fernando-3
Hi Udeshika,

Thanks for your interest in this project. Suho (CCied) and I will be your mentors. You can start familiarizing yourself with Siddhi and Eclipse plugin development. Let us know if you have any specific questions.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Udeshika Sewwandi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I am Udeshika Sewwandi, a final year undergraduate of Department of Computer Science and Engineering of University of Moratuwa. I am interested with the GSoC 2017 Proposal 6: "Eclipse plugin for Siddhi" .I'm going through the references provided for the project and can you please direct me to the responsible mentors to get more familiarize with the project. We are going to integrate WSO2 CEP for my final year project. So I thought of contributing to Siddhi which will be useful for future Siddhi users. Thank you.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

--
K.A.U.Sewwandi
Undergraduate
Faculty of Engineering
University of Moratuwa

Thanks & regards,
Nirmal

Technical Lead - Analytics Team, WSO2 Inc.
Mobile: +94715779733
Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: GSoC 2017 Project proposal 6: Eclipse plugin for Siddhi

Sriskandarajah Suhothayan
We need an editor that supports Siddhi grammar https://github.com/wso2/siddhi/blob/master/modules/siddhi-query-compiler/src/main/antlr4/org/wso2/siddhi/query/compiler/SiddhiQL.g4

Can start with a PoC on implementing an editor with syntax highlighting and auto-completion not necessary for Siddhi but for some sample language and then look into how we can do the same for Siddhi.

Regards
Suho

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Nirmal Fernando <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mobile: <a href="tel:071%20577%209733" value="+94715779733" target="_blank">+94715779733
Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

--
S. Suhothayan
Associate Director / Architect & Team Lead of WSO2 Complex Event Processor

Re: GSoC 2017 Project proposal 6: Eclipse plugin for Siddhi

Udeshika Sewwandi
Hi,
I have gone through almost all the references given. I found that instead of antlr we can use Xtext framework [1] which has features for Eclipse also. Currently I am following the references given in [2],[3] to get familiarize with editor plugins for Eclipse. Is there any eclipse version that needs to be used for the project? Actually I couldn't test the sample plugin in a tutorial since I couldn't reach the run-time workbench of Eclipse. Do you have any idea why this is happening ? Thank you.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On 7 March 2017 at 16:19, Nirmal Fernando <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great. Please keep the discussion in [hidden email] mailing list.

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 3:37 PM, Udeshika Sewwandi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
Thank you very much for replying. Currently I am familiarizing with the Eclipse plugin environment and Siddhi.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

cell: <a href="tel:+94%2077%20975%206757" value="+94779756757" target="_blank">(+94) 779 756 757 | blog: http://suhothayan.blogspot.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/suhothayan | linked-in: http://lk.linkedin.com/in/suhothayan

--
K.A.U.Sewwandi
Undergraduate

--

Thanks & regards,
Nirmal

Technical Lead - Analytics Team, WSO2 Inc.
Mobile: <a href="tel:+94%2071%20577%209733" value="+94715779733" target="_blank">+94715779733
Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

--
K.A.U.Sewwandi
Undergraduate
Faculty of Engineering
University of Moratuwa

Re: GSoC 2017 Project proposal 6: Eclipse plugin for Siddhi

Udeshika Sewwandi
Hi,
For the project can I use Antlr 4 IDE in Eclipse which is built on Xtext ? From that an Antlr 4 project can be created and grammar file,lexer and parser are generated automatically. If not through command line the same lexer and parser can be generated using the grammar file and can be imported in eclipse IDE for further development. What is your idea on this? Thank you.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On 8 March 2017 at 17:27, Udeshika Sewwandi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sri Lanka

Re: GSoC 2017 Project proposal 6: Eclipse plugin for Siddhi

Sriskandarajah Suhothayan
We can do this but this will take a lot of effort in implementing Antlr to Xtext which will be a bit of a work and may be a bit hard to maintain.
+1 If no other options.

Regards
Suho

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Udeshika Sewwandi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have skipped the path with Xtext. I have already started implementing using Antlr and I am on implementing the PoC for syntax highlighting and content assistance(auto completion) for a sample grammar file based on simple maths expressions for now. I will update about it in the near future. Thank you.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On 13 March 2017 at 21:02, Sriskandarajah Suhothayan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have created a prototype for syntax highlighting and auto completion using only a subset of syntax of HTML. But for this I have defined the rules in eclipse plugin environment without integrating antlr generated syntax into it. Is it ok not to integrate antlr generated syntax in the prototype ? I have attached screenshots of what is implemented. Thank you.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On 15 March 2017 at 01:05, Sriskandarajah Suhothayan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm currently working on the project proposal. I have several questions.
  1. Does syntax highlighting and auto completion needs to integrate with back end generated Siddhi parser?
  2. What is the scope of error reporting you expect?
  3. Is a launcher needs to be created for running and debugging? If so is it a separate plugin or integrated with the same editor plugging?
  4. Do you expect the students to implement a debugger for Siddhi applications? If so is it needed to entered in the project timeline? Because in the project description it is mentioned that if time permits support for running and debugging Siddhi. And I saw in another email thread [1] that only syntax highlighting and auto completion is needed.
I'll provide the github link for the prototype I have created for a subset of syntax of html soon. Thank you.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Udeshika Sewwandi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I'm currently working on the project proposal. I have several questions.
  1. Does syntax highlighting and auto completion needs to integrate with back end generated Siddhi parser?
Yes we should also run the Siddhi in the backend to validate the query, and to get semantics related information like Stream Definitions.
  1. What is the scope of error reporting you expect?
We can validate the query in Siddhi itself and that gives relevant errors and we have to show that error in appropriate places in the editor.
  1. Is a launcher needs to be created for running and debugging? If so is it a separate plugin or integrated with the same editor plugging?
if we get time we can try creating them, in that case we can use Siddhi in the backend to run and debug. Siddhi have support for debugging as well.
  1. Do you expect the students to implement a debugger for Siddhi applications? If so is it needed to entered in the project timeline? Because in the project description it is mentioned that if time permits support for running and debugging Siddhi. And I saw in another email thread [1] that only syntax highlighting and auto completion is needed.
Siddhi has the API for debugging and if time permits we can do that.

[...]

Hi Suho,
Thank you for the response. I have created a prototype for sample set of syntax of html using defined html tags in the plugin environment as I mentioned earlier. I am working on it to find a way to integrate back end Siddhi with syntax highlighting and auto completion. I have added the created prototype to github [1].Thank you.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On 18 March 2017 at 22:26, Sriskandarajah Suhothayan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OK. I'll start with Siddhi grammar. Thank you for the response.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On 20 March 2017 at 11:37, Sriskandarajah Suhothayan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

When start implementing the prototype for Siddhi is it not needed to use Antlr? Because as you said by running Siddhi in the back end we can validate queries isn't it ? It would be really helpful if you clarify this.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On 20 March 2017 at 13:51, Udeshika Sewwandi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much for the quick response. I already have used Antlr for Siddhi grammar.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On 21 March 2017 at 15:31, Sriskandarajah Suhothayan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I tried to invoke some methods of SiddhiQLLexer.java class generated by Antlr in PatitionScanner.java class in editor plugin to get the literals, keywords etc for syntax highlighting. But when I instantiate an AntlrInputStream object and run the project it gives and error saying "Editor could not be initialized
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/antlr/v4/runtime/ANTLRInputStream................." . When I navigate to AntlrInputStream class it says source not found. So I again downloaded and add the jar to the project build path. I tried several ways creating the project and importing the antlr runtime jar, but still it is giving the same error. Do you have any suggestions to overcome this error ? Can I use the SiddhiQL.tokens file to get the necessary tokens needed for syntax highligting without using Lexer class? It would be really worth if you can give comments on this. Thank you.

Best Reagrds,
-Sewwandi

On 21 March 2017 at 16:16, Udeshika Sewwandi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was able to find a solution for the error. In SiddhiQLParser.java class there are rules and literals defined as shown in the screen shot attached. There are methods provided to access them. Shall I go with considering those rules and literals defined in implementing syntax highlighting and auto completion? Thank you.

Best Regards,
-Sewwandi

On 22 March 2017 at 18:58, Udeshika Sewwandi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sorry I forgot to attach the screen shot in earlier mail "I was able to find a solution for the error. In SiddhiQLParser.java class there are rules and literals defined as shown in the screen shot attached. There are methods provided to access them. Shall I go with considering those rules and literals defined in implementing syntax highlighting and auto completion? Thank you.".Thank you.