[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Tyrell Perera-3
This looks like just the kind of tool we want. It's an Eclipse plugin and
very comprehensive. It even launches Shindig .war so that the developer can
preview his Gadget.

Home Page: http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-development-environment/

We can extend this by allowing the user to host the Gadget in the Registry
and add it to the Enterprise Gadget Repository.

Saminda and tooling team - WDYT?

Tyrell

--
Tyrell Perera
Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget Server

WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
"Lean Enterprise Middleware"

http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/tyrellperera
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Samisa Abeysinghe-4
So, how can we make use of the widget framework here?

Samisa...

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:

> This looks like just the kind of tool we want. It's an Eclipse plugin and
> very comprehensive. It even launches Shindig .war so that the developer can
> preview his Gadget.
>
> Home Page: http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-development-environment/
>
> We can extend this by allowing the user to host the Gadget in the Registry
> and add it to the Enterprise Gadget Repository.
>
> Saminda and tooling team - WDYT?
>
> Tyrell
>
> --
> Tyrell Perera
> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget Server
>
> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

Samisa Abeysinghe
Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.

http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa at wso2.com> wrote:

> So, how can we make use of the widget framework here?

Using this as a starting point we can build to integrate the widget
framework, which really is a javascript library.

As a first step we can enhance the Gadget generator wizard with an option to
include WSO2 Visualisation framework. That will import the framework
javascripts to the project and wire them to the gadget when it's generated.

>From there the natural path of progression would be towards a graphical
editor with drag-drop support etc.

Tyrell

> Samisa...
>
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> This looks like just the kind of tool we want. It's an Eclipse plugin and
>> very comprehensive. It even launches Shindig .war so that the developer can
>> preview his Gadget.
>>
>> Home Page: http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-development-environment/
>>
>> We can extend this by allowing the user to host the Gadget in the Registry
>> and add it to the Enterprise Gadget Repository.
>>
>> Saminda and tooling team - WDYT?
>>
>> Tyrell
>>
>> --
>> Tyrell Perera
>> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget
>> Server
>>
>> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
>> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>>
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
>> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
>> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

>> --
> Samisa Abeysinghe
> Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.
>
> http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

Tyrell Perera
Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget Server

WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
"Lean Enterprise Middleware"

http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/tyrellperera
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Nuwan Bandara-2
Hi,

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa at wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> So, how can we make use of the widget framework here?
>>

> Using this as a starting point we can build to integrate the widget
> framework, which really is a javascript library.
>
> As a first step we can enhance the Gadget generator wizard with an option
> to include WSO2 Visualisation framework. That will import the framework
> javascripts to the project and wire them to the gadget when it's generated.

+1; there is a similar plugin in adobe dreamweaver for wordpress where you
can add widgets to the html template by just clicking the buttons in the
side palate. we can implement something like that, (some auto generated js
code)

> From there the natural path of progression would be towards a graphical
> editor with drag-drop support etc.

Regards
/Nuwan

> Tyrell
>

>> Samisa...
>>
>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This looks like just the kind of tool we want. It's an Eclipse plugin and
>>> very comprehensive. It even launches Shindig .war so that the developer can
>>> preview his Gadget.
>>>
>>> Home Page: http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-development-environment/
>>>
>>> We can extend this by allowing the user to host the Gadget in the
>>> Registry and add it to the Enterprise Gadget Repository.
>>>
>>> Saminda and tooling team - WDYT?
>>>
>>> Tyrell
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tyrell Perera
>>> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget
>>> Server
>>>
>>> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
>>> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>>>
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
>>> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
>>> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

>>> --
>> Samisa Abeysinghe
>> Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.
>>
>> http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

> Tyrell Perera
> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget Server
>
> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

Nuwan Bandara
Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com
lean . enterprise . middleware

Cell: +94 77 290 7484
Office: +94 11 268 8451
blog: http://www.nuwanbando.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Sanjiva Weerawarana-2
What exactly is the widget fwk?

Sanjiva.

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Nuwan Bandara <nuwan at wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa at wso2.com>wrote:
>>
>>> So, how can we make use of the widget framework here?
>>>

>> Using this as a starting point we can build to integrate the widget
>> framework, which really is a javascript library.
>>
>> As a first step we can enhance the Gadget generator wizard with an option
>> to include WSO2 Visualisation framework. That will import the framework
>> javascripts to the project and wire them to the gadget when it's generated.
>>

> +1; there is a similar plugin in adobe dreamweaver for wordpress where you
> can add widgets to the html template by just clicking the buttons in the
> side palate. we can implement something like that, (some auto generated js
> code)
>

>> From there the natural path of progression would be towards a graphical
>> editor with drag-drop support etc.
>>

> Regards
> /Nuwan
>

>> Tyrell
>>

>>> Samisa...

>>> Samisa Abeysinghe
>>> Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.
>>>
>>> http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

>> --
>> Tyrell Perera
>> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget
>> Server
>>
>> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
>> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>>
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
>> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
>> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

> Nuwan Bandara
> Software Engineer
>
> WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com
> lean . enterprise . middleware
>
> Cell: +94 77 290 7484
> Office: +94 11 268 8451
> blog: http://www.nuwanbando.com

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
6880 | +1 650 265 8311
blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:

> What exactly is the widget fwk?

It's slang for the javascript library Japi and LahiruL are working on :)

The library contains gauges, graphs etc. for visualisations. "WSO2
Visualisation Framework" is the correct name I suppose. This library is
useful for Gadget developers who want to graphically display data (ie: BAM).

Tyrell

> Sanjiva.
>

> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Nuwan Bandara <nuwan at wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Using this as a starting point we can build to integrate the widget
>>> framework, which really is a javascript library.
>>>
>>> As a first step we can enhance the Gadget generator wizard with an option
>>> to include WSO2 Visualisation framework. That will import the framework
>>> javascripts to the project and wire them to the gadget when it's generated.
>>>

>> +1; there is a similar plugin in adobe dreamweaver for wordpress where you
>> can add widgets to the html template by just clicking the buttons in the
>> side palate. we can implement something like that, (some auto generated js
>> code)
>>

>>> From there the natural path of progression would be towards a graphical
>>> editor with drag-drop support etc.
>>>

>> Regards
>> /Nuwan
>>

>>> Tyrell

>>> --
>>> Tyrell Perera
>>> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget
>>> Server
>>>
>>> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
>>> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>>>
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
>>> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
>>> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

>> --
>> Nuwan Bandara
>> Software Engineer
>>
>> WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com
>> lean . enterprise . middleware
>>
>> Cell: +94 77 290 7484
>> Office: +94 11 268 8451
>> blog: http://www.nuwanbando.com

> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
>
> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>
> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

Tyrell Perera
Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget Server

WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
"Lean Enterprise Middleware"

http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/tyrellperera
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Sanjiva Weerawarana-2
So in other words its an optional library for a gadget author to use (if
(s)he wishes)? In that case shouldn't cause any issues!

Sanjiva.

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:
>
>> What exactly is the widget fwk?
>>

> It's slang for the javascript library Japi and LahiruL are working on :)
>
> The library contains gauges, graphs etc. for visualisations. "WSO2
> Visualisation Framework" is the correct name I suppose. This library is
> useful for Gadget developers who want to graphically display data (ie: BAM).
>

> Tyrell
>

>> Sanjiva.
>>

>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Nuwan Bandara <nuwan at wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> +1; there is a similar plugin in adobe dreamweaver for wordpress where
>>> you can add widgets to the html template by just clicking the buttons in the
>>> side palate. we can implement something like that, (some auto generated js
>>> code)

>>> Regards
>>> /Nuwan

>>> --
>>> Nuwan Bandara
>>> Software Engineer
>>>
>>> WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com
>>> lean . enterprise . middleware
>>>
>>> Cell: +94 77 290 7484
>>> Office: +94 11 268 8451
>>> blog: http://www.nuwanbando.com

>> --
>> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
>> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
>> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
>> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
>>
>> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>>
>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

> Tyrell Perera
> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget Server
>
> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
6880 | +1 650 265 8311
blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/

Lean . Enterprise . Middleware
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Ruwan Janapriya-3
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:
>
>> What exactly is the widget fwk?
>>

> It's slang for the javascript library Japi and LahiruL are working on :)
>
> The library contains gauges, graphs etc. for visualisations. "WSO2
> Visualisation Framework" is the correct name I suppose. This library is
> useful for Gadget developers who want to graphically display data (ie: BAM).

The proposed framework name "WSO2 Visualization Framework" does not contain
the term "gadget" since the framework is not limited to gadgets. In theory,
the framework will work anywhere javascript could be included. For example,
in BAM we do have pages displaying trees, bar charts, linear charts etc. We
can use the framework there also, since we didn't limit ourselves to
gadgets.

Furthermore, we are planning to develop a bunch of convenient functions for
gadget development *using* the above framework. Even we can make these
functions a separate framework (e.g.: Gadget Framework).

regards,

Janapriya

> Tyrell
>

>> Sanjiva.
>>

>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Nuwan Bandara <nuwan at wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> +1; there is a similar plugin in adobe dreamweaver for wordpress where
>>> you can add widgets to the html template by just clicking the buttons in the
>>> side palate. we can implement something like that, (some auto generated js
>>> code)

>>> Regards
>>> /Nuwan

>>> --
>>> Nuwan Bandara
>>> Software Engineer
>>>
>>> WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com
>>> lean . enterprise . middleware
>>>
>>> Cell: +94 77 290 7484
>>> Office: +94 11 268 8451
>>> blog: http://www.nuwanbando.com

>> --
>> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
>> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
>> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
>> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
>>
>> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>>
>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

> Tyrell Perera
> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget Server
>
> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

Ruwan Janapriya
Technical Lead - WSO2 Inc.

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:

> So in other words its an optional library for a gadget author to use (if
> (s)he wishes)? In that case shouldn't cause any issues!

I do not think it should be optional.

This framework is used to draw graphs, trees, and the like in
BAM visualization layer.

I presume any useful gadgets would also require these widgets among other
things.

So we plug them in and ship as well.

The usefulness of this framework was realized in conversation with a client,
where they had the requirement of "assemble" the gadget, with a set of
"predefined widgets"

Samisa...

> Sanjiva.
>

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:
>>
>>> What exactly is the widget fwk?
>>>

>> It's slang for the javascript library Japi and LahiruL are working on :)
>>
>> The library contains gauges, graphs etc. for visualisations. "WSO2
>> Visualisation Framework" is the correct name I suppose. This library is
>> useful for Gadget developers who want to graphically display data (ie: BAM).
>>

>> Tyrell
>>

>>> Sanjiva.

>>> --
>>> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
>>> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
>>> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
>>> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
>>>
>>> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>>>
>>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

>> --
>> Tyrell Perera
>> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget
>> Server
>>
>> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
>> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>>
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
>> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
>> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>
> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

Samisa Abeysinghe
Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.

http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Sanjiva Weerawarana-2
We can certainly include it but isn't it of course optional in terms of
usage?? Our stuff will work whether the gadget is written using that or not,
right? If not that's a problem.

I didn't mean optional in the sense of whether we include it or not. The
problem is that every framework is a further barrier to entry for people ..
but if they find it useful and use it that's great and that's why we make it
available.

Sanjiva.

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:

> We can certainly include it but isn't it of course optional in terms of
> usage?? Our stuff will work whether the gadget is written using that or not,
> right? If not that's a problem.
>
> I didn't mean optional in the sense of whether we include it or not. The
> problem is that every framework is a further barrier to entry for people ..
> but if they find it useful and use it that's great and that's why we make it
> available.

Yes, of course. I think what we are talking about is, it is not optional to
bundle the framework to our tooling solution. But for the user, it is
completely optional if they use it or not.
However, I imagine, that if the framework is there, 90% will end up using
it.
Also, our tool will be much more compelling to be used, with framework, than
without it.

Samisa...

> Sanjiva.
>

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa at wso2.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:
>>
>>> So in other words its an optional library for a gadget author to use (if
>>> (s)he wishes)? In that case shouldn't cause any issues!
>>>

>> I do not think it should be optional.
>>
>> This framework is used to draw graphs, trees, and the like in
>> BAM visualization layer.
>>
>> I presume any useful gadgets would also require these widgets among other
>> things.
>>
>> So we plug them in and ship as well.
>>
>> The usefulness of this framework was realized in conversation with a
>> client, where they had the requirement of "assemble" the gadget, with a set
>> of "predefined widgets"
>>
>> Samisa...
>>

>>> Sanjiva.

>>> --
>>> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
>>> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
>>> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
>>> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
>>> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>>>
>>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

>>> --
>> Samisa Abeysinghe
>> Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.
>>
>> http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>
> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

Samisa Abeysinghe
Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.

http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Tyrell Perera-3
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:

> We can certainly include it but isn't it of course optional in terms of
> usage?? Our stuff will work whether the gadget is written using that or not,
> right? If not that's a problem.
>
> I didn't mean optional in the sense of whether we include it or not. The
> problem is that every framework is a further barrier to entry for people ..
> but if they find it useful and use it that's great and that's why we make it
> available.

+1

This framework is yet another framework like JQuery, Prototype etc, etc. The
gadget generation wizard should list it as an option to be included in a
generated gadget. Then it's up to the gadget developer to include it in his
gadget or not.

Tyrell

> Sanjiva.
>

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa at wso2.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:
>>
>>> So in other words its an optional library for a gadget author to use (if
>>> (s)he wishes)? In that case shouldn't cause any issues!
>>>

>> I do not think it should be optional.
>>
>> This framework is used to draw graphs, trees, and the like in
>> BAM visualization layer.
>>
>> I presume any useful gadgets would also require these widgets among other
>> things.
>>
>> So we plug them in and ship as well.
>>
>> The usefulness of this framework was realized in conversation with a
>> client, where they had the requirement of "assemble" the gadget, with a set
>> of "predefined widgets"
>>
>> Samisa...
>>

>>> Sanjiva.

>>> --
>>> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
>>> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
>>> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
>>> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
>>> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>>>
>>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

>>> --
>> Samisa Abeysinghe
>> Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.
>>
>> http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>
> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

Tyrell Perera
Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget Server

WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
"Lean Enterprise Middleware"

http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/tyrellperera
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

sumedha rubasinghe
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:

> We can certainly include it but isn't it of course optional in terms of
> usage?? Our stuff will work whether the gadget is written using that or not,
> right? If not that's a problem.

>From my understanding & how I have used it, using "Visualization Framework"
is not a must to write gadgets. But it lets you add visualization aspects to
your gadgets with ease.

/sumedha

> I didn't mean optional in the sense of whether we include it or not. The
> problem is that every framework is a further barrier to entry for people ..
> but if they find it useful and use it that's great and that's why we make it
> available.
>
> Sanjiva.
>

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa at wso2.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:
>>
>>> So in other words its an optional library for a gadget author to use (if
>>> (s)he wishes)? In that case shouldn't cause any issues!
>>>

>> I do not think it should be optional.
>>
>> This framework is used to draw graphs, trees, and the like in
>> BAM visualization layer.
>>
>> I presume any useful gadgets would also require these widgets among other
>> things.
>>
>> So we plug them in and ship as well.
>>
>> The usefulness of this framework was realized in conversation with a
>> client, where they had the requirement of "assemble" the gadget, with a set
>> of "predefined widgets"
>>
>> Samisa...
>>

>>> Sanjiva.

>>> --
>>> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
>>> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
>>> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
>>> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
>>> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>>>
>>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

>>> --
>> Samisa Abeysinghe
>> Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.
>>
>> http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>
> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Sanjiva Weerawarana-2
So then how about making the visualization framework a separate commons
project or even possibly making it into a google code project? Seems to me
that general gadget authors may find that useful, whether they run the
gadgets in the WSO2 Gadget Server or not. Hence the desire to take it out of
the Carbon SVN structure.

Sanjiva.

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Ruwan Janapriya <janapriya at wso2.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:
>>
>>> What exactly is the widget fwk?
>>>

>> It's slang for the javascript library Japi and LahiruL are working on :)
>>
>> The library contains gauges, graphs etc. for visualisations. "WSO2
>> Visualisation Framework" is the correct name I suppose. This library is
>> useful for Gadget developers who want to graphically display data (ie: BAM).
>>

> The proposed framework name "WSO2 Visualization Framework" does not contain
> the term "gadget" since the framework is not limited to gadgets. In theory,
> the framework will work anywhere javascript could be included. For example,
> in BAM we do have pages displaying trees, bar charts, linear charts etc. We
> can use the framework there also, since we didn't limit ourselves to
> gadgets.
>
> Furthermore, we are planning to develop a bunch of convenient functions for
> gadget development *using* the above framework. Even we can make these
> functions a separate framework (e.g.: Gadget Framework).
>
> regards,
>
> Janapriya
>

>> Tyrell
>>

>>> Sanjiva.

>>> --
>>> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
>>> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
>>> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
>>> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
>>>
>>> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>>>
>>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

>> --
>> Tyrell Perera
>> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget
>> Server
>>
>> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
>> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>>
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
>> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
>> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

> Ruwan Janapriya
> Technical Lead - WSO2 Inc.
>

> http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
6880 | +1 650 265 8311
blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/

Lean . Enterprise . Middleware
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Ruwan Janapriya-3
+1 !!

regards,

Janapriya

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:

> [...]
> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>
> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

Ruwan Janapriya
Technical Lead - WSO2 Inc.

http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Samisa Abeysinghe-4
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:

> So then how about making the visualization framework a separate commons
> project or even possibly making it into a google code project? Seems to me
> that general gadget authors may find that useful, whether they run the
> gadgets in the WSO2 Gadget Server or not. Hence the desire to take it out of

+1. But why do we want to move it out of OT.

If this is really good, people will come searching for it.

Samisa...

> Sanjiva.
>

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Ruwan Janapriya <janapriya at wso2.com>wrote:

>>> It's slang for the javascript library Japi and LahiruL are working on :)
>>>
>>> The library contains gauges, graphs etc. for visualisations. "WSO2
>>> Visualisation Framework" is the correct name I suppose. This library is
>>> useful for Gadget developers who want to graphically display data (ie: BAM).
>>>

>> The proposed framework name "WSO2 Visualization Framework" does not
>> contain the term "gadget" since the framework is not limited to gadgets. In
>> theory, the framework will work anywhere javascript could be included. For
>> example, in BAM we do have pages displaying trees, bar charts, linear charts
>> etc. We can use the framework there also, since we didn't limit ourselves to
>> gadgets.
>>
>> Furthermore, we are planning to develop a bunch of convenient functions
>> for gadget development *using* the above framework. Even we can make these
>> functions a separate framework (e.g.: Gadget Framework).
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Janapriya
>>

>>> Tyrell

>>> --
>>> Tyrell Perera
>>> Technical Lead and Product Manager - WSO2 Mashup Server, WSO2 Gadget
>>> Server
>>>
>>> WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/
>>> "Lean Enterprise Middleware"
>>>
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tyrell
>>> http://tyrellperera.blogspot.com
>>> http://twitter.com/tyrellperera

>> --
>> Ruwan Janapriya
>> Technical Lead - WSO2 Inc.
>>

>> http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/
> email: sanjiva at wso2.com; phone: +1 408 754 7388 x51726; cell: +94 77 787
> 6880 | +1 650 265 8311
> blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/
>
> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

Samisa Abeysinghe
Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.

http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[Gadget Server] Open Social Development Environment

Lahiru Lakmal Priyadarshana
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Tyrell Perera <tyrell at wso2.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at wso2.com>wrote:
>
>> We can certainly include it but isn't it of course optional in terms of
>> usage?? Our stuff will work whether the gadget is written using that or not,
>> right? If not that's a problem.
>>
>> I didn't mean optional in the sense of whether we include it or not. The
>> problem is that every framework is a further barrier to entry for people ..
>> but if they find it useful and use it that's great and that's why we make it
>> available.
>>

> +1
>
> This framework is yet another framework like JQuery, Prototype etc, etc.
> The gadget generation wizard should list it as an option to be included in a
> generated gadget. Then it's up to the gadget developer to include it in his
> gadget or not.

+1

It is totally up to the gadget developer to use the Visualization Framework
or not. However, this framework is really useful when there is a need
to visualize your data inside a browser; even in a gadget, and in different
ways!
We found several useful javascript/flash/flex based data
visualization libraries but most of them demand a considerable amount of
knowledge on their APIs to create rich visualizations. And we did not find
any other framework that allows to combine several visualization frameworks
and wrap their APIs. So I think WSO2 Visualization Framework has a great
potential to add visualizations in ease.

http://www.soundofcode.com/