[IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

[IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Lahiru Manohara
Hi,

We are implementing email management component for IS 6.0.0. The following properties will be included in the email template.

configuration:
 -
  subject:
  body:
  footer:
  type:
  display:
  locale:
  emailContentType:

The following directory structure will be used to keep the template based on the locale.
config/
└── email/
    ├── en_US
    │    └── email-admin-config.yaml
    └── en_GB
        └── email-admin-config.yaml
Appreciate your suggestions on above design.

Best Regards,
--
Lahiru Manohara
Software Engineer

Re: [IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Isura Karunaratne
Hi Lahiru,

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 4:40 PM Lahiru Manohara <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are implementing email management component for IS 6.0.0. The following properties will be included in the email template.

configuration:
 -
  subject:
  body:
  footer:
  type:
  display:
  locale:
  emailContentType:

The following directory structure will be used to keep the template based on the locale.
config/

└── email/

├── en_US

│ └── email-admin-config.yaml

└── en_GB

└── email-admin-config.yaml
+1 for the directory structure.

We need to support both HTML and text based email templates. Also, there should be a way to specify user claims in email templates. We support those features  in IS5.3.0.

Thanks
Isura.

Appreciate your suggestions on above design.

Best Regards,
--
Lahiru Manohara
Software Engineer
Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B94716561576" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">+94716561576
WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com

Re: [IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Danushka Fernando

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Isura Karunaratne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Are we having this folder structure inside conf/identity or did you mean the conf folder by config? I think it should go in to the conf/identity/email. WDYT?
We need to support both HTML and text based email templates. Also, there should be a way to specify user claims in email templates. We support those features  in IS5.3.0.

Thanks
Isura.

Appreciate your suggestions on above design.

Best Regards,
--
Lahiru Manohara
Software Engineer
Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B94716561576" class="gmail-m_-4892339183332693397gmail_msg" target="_blank">+94716561576
WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com

Thanks & Regards
Danushka Fernando
Senior Software Engineer
WSO2 inc. http://wso2.com/

Re: [IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Kasun Bandara-2
Hi Lahiru,

Is there any specific reason to populate the email configurations under 'config' directory ? . IMO these email template configurations must reside under 'Identity' directory structure.

Thanks,
Kasun.

Kasun Gayan Bandara
PhD Research Student
Machine Learning Group

Faculty of Information Technology, Clayton
Monash University
25 Exhibition Walk, Clayton Campus
Wellington Road
Clayton VIC 3800
Australia.

M (+61) 43 491 6476

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 10:10 PM, Lahiru Manohara <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Danushka/Kasun,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Kasun Bandara <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Lahiru,

Is there any specific reason to populate the email configurations under 'config' directory ? . IMO these email template configurations must reside under 'Identity' directory structure.

Email templates are not identity specific data. IMO email configurations should be in the conf directory, but not in Identity directory.

Thanks
Isura.

[...]

Johann Nallathamby
Hi Isura,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:21 AM, Isura Karunaratne <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Danushka/Kasun,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Kasun Bandara <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Lahiru,

Is there any specific reason to populate the email configurations under 'config' directory ? . IMO these email template configurations must reside under 'Identity' directory structure.

Email templates are not identity specific data. IMO email configurations should be in the conf directory, but not in Identity directory.

Why we have email templates under identity directory in 5.3.0 is because we made a decision to contain all identity server features under one root directory, hence /identity. Not based on whether they are really a identity related feature or not. Same applies to event-mgt.properties file. Otherwise there can be naming conflicts coming from other repos. I also think all identity server features must go under one directory.

Regards,
Johann.

[...]

Johann Dilantha Nallathamby
Technical Lead & Product Lead of WSO2 Identity Server
Governance Technologies Team

Mobile - +94777776950

Re: [IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Sagara Gunathunga-2

Sending E-mails is a very generic feature thus we have to make sure whatever we do here can be reuse within the platform not just within IS. Shall we arrange a discussion with Azeez, Suho and API-M folks before we continue to discuss E-Mail specific Implementation details ?

Also E-Mail is just one way of notification, we need some sort of a generic framework/abstraction to send any type of  notification such as SMS. Once we have such design we can implantation E-Mail support as one notification type. I guess we can reuse most of the code/design from C4 based CEP module.

Thanks !

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Johann Nallathamby <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Associate Director / Architect; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com
V.P Apache Web Services;    http://ws.apache.org/
Linkedin; http://www.linkedin.com/in/ssagara
Blog ;  http://ssagara.blogspot.com

Re: [IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Dilan Udara Ariyaratne
+1 to Sagara's point of view.

It would be ideal if we can have one generic feature across the platform in sending rich-human-undersdanble messages such as E-mails and SMSs,
so that it would cater any product having associated requirements at a higher level.

@Lahiru, AFAIR, most recent EMM 2.2.0 and upcoming IoT releases have an in-built email sending feature at the product level itself to support associated requirements with device management.
The decision to write an inbuilt email-sending feature with template support (using Velocity template engine) was made because of the fact that
we never had one generic feature across the platform to achieve the same.

Hope we can avoid any such duplication of the same capability across multiple products, once this feature is done.

Thanks,
Dilan.

Dilan U. Ariyaratne
Mobile: +<a href="tel:%2B94766405580" value="+94766405580" target="_blank">94766405580
lean . enterprise . middleware

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Sagara Gunathunga <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi all,

When we were implementing the email management support for IS 5.3.0 the idea was to use and integrate the generic WSO2 CEP Output Adaptor module  (Including Email, SMS etc.) for email sending functionality, so we can use this feature among other WSO2 products as well. AFAIK this has already shipped with IS 5.3.0.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Dilan Udara Ariyaratne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Farasath Ahamed

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 3:10 AM, Lahiru Manohara <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We are implementing email management component for IS 6.0.0. The following properties will be included in the email template.

configuration:
 -
  subject:
  body:
  footer:
  type:
  display:
  locale:
  emailContentType:

The following directory structure will be used to keep the template based on the locale.
config/
└── email/
    ├── en_US
    │    └── email-admin-config.yaml
    └── en_GB
        └── email-admin-config.yaml

Currently the structure we have is,
config/
└── email/
    ├── scenario1 (like AccountRecovery)
         └── en_US (here we have the actual template)
         └── en_GB

With this structure it was easy to delete a template type easily, Let's say you wanted to delete all AccountRecovery template types, you simply delete the "scenario1" template folder.
But with the proposed structure this becomes a bit tricky IMO, you need to iterate through all locales (folders) and then read the email-admin-config.yaml and delete the specific type of templates.

Even if you want to delete say AccountRecovery template in en_US you would have to read the email-admin-config.yaml and then delete the specific template and save the file again.

Any specifc reasons for chosing this directory structure?

Appreciate your suggestions on above design.

Best Regards,
--
Lahiru Manohara
Software Engineer
Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B94716561576" target="_blank">+94716561576
WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com

Re: [IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Ayesha Dissanayaka
Hi,

The following directory structure will be used to keep the template based on the locale.
config/
└── email/
    ├── en_US
    │    └── email-admin-config.yaml
    └── en_GB
        └── email-admin-config.yaml

Currently the structure we have is,
config/
└── email/
    ├── scenario1 (like AccountRecovery)
         └── en_US (here we have the actual template)
         └── en_GB

As we discussed offline, I suggest that we group email templates based on locale and having a template per scenario.
config/
└── email/
    ├── en_US (locale)
| └── password-recovery.yaml (here we have the actual template in en_US) (template per scenario)
| └── email-confirmation.yaml (here we have the actual template in en_US)
| └── ...
    ├── fr
└── password-recovery.yaml (here we have the actual template in fr)
└── email-confirmation.yaml (here we have the actual template in fr)
└── ...

If we put all the email templates in one template file, then it becomes hard to maintain as this file may grow as new email templates are introduces. Also the content of a particular template (ex: html templates) will also become hard to maintain in one file. With above suggested separation, CRUD operations for a particular template of a locale become simple, as those will be file based configurations going forward.

--
Ayesha Dissanayaka
Software Engineer,

Re: [IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Ishara Karunarathna
Hi All,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Ayesha Dissanayaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The following directory structure will be used to keep the template based on the locale.
config/
└── email/
    ├── en_US
    │    └── email-admin-config.yaml
    └── en_GB
        └── email-admin-config.yaml

Currently the structure we have is,
config/
└── email/
    ├── scenario1 (like AccountRecovery)
         └── en_US (here we have the actual template)
         └── en_GB

As we discussed offline, I suggest that we group email templates based on locale and having a template per scenario.
config/
└── email/
    ├── en_US (locale)
| └── password-recovery.yaml (here we have the actual template in en_US) (template per scenario)
| └── email-confirmation.yaml (here we have the actual template in en_US)
| └── ...
    ├── fr
└── password-recovery.yaml (here we have the actual template in fr)
└── email-confirmation.yaml (here we have the actual template in fr)
└── ...

These are templates rather configurations, and we may have some other templates too link redirection pages etc.
Shall we create a template folder inside configs and put relevant configs there

config/
└── templates/
          └── email/
-Ishara

If we put all the email templates in one template file, then it becomes hard to maintain as this file may grow as new email templates are introduces. Also the content of a particular template (ex: html templates) will also become hard to maintain in one file. With above suggested separation, CRUD operations for a particular template of a locale become simple, as those will be file based configurations going forward.

--
Ayesha Dissanayaka
Software Engineer,
WSO2, Inc :
http://wso2.com
20, Palmgrove Avenue, Colombo 3

Ishara Karunarathna
Associate Technical Lead
WSO2 Inc. - lean . enterprise . middleware |  wso2.com

email: [hidden email],   blog: isharaaruna.blogspot.com,   mobile: +94717996791

Re: [IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Sriskandarajah Suhothayan
Hi All

DAS team is about to start C5 based the email transport implementation for DAS.
Have we already implemented a common component for Email?
What's the status of this?
If so is this a carbon transport or common component?

Regards
Suho

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Ayesha Dissanayaka <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Ishara Karunarathna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shall we create a template folder inside configs and put relevant configs there

config/
└── templates/
          └── email/

+1

--
Ayesha Dissanayaka
Software Engineer,
WSO2, Inc :
http://wso2.com
20, Palmgrove Avenue, Colombo 3

S. Suhothayan
Associate Director / Architect
lean . enterprise . middleware

Re: [IS 6.0.0] Email Management Component Implementation

Lahiru Manohara
Hi Suho,

We have not implemented the email transport for the IS 6.0.0 M3. We have implemented the custom template adding and used Javax mail to send the email[1].

Best Regards,

cell: <a href="tel:+94%2077%20975%206757" value="+94779756757" target="_blank">(+94) 779 756 757 | blog: http://suhothayan.blogspot.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/suhothayan | linked-in: http://lk.linkedin.com/in/suhothayan