[IoT] App Management of IoT Server

Chathura Dilan
Hi All,

We have planned to rewrite App Management component for IoT server to make it more scalable and efficient. As the initial step we are focusing on the app store and publisher.

The business user stories of the app management as follows.

App developer
App developer creates apps for users. He can use app publisher console to distribute his application to users. He also is capable of distributing correct app to relevant user.

App Publisher
App publisher is responsible of verify the application before it is publish it in the store

App User
Can browse the app store, subscribe to an application to download/get/install an app

This will be the high level arcihtecture diagram.

1. App management core consist of web app publisher, store webapps.
2. It also expose its services as REST for third parties and for the publisher and store.
3. App types are plugable to the app management core.
4.Plugins consist of UI elements which is related to publisher and store. Those UI elements will be rendered in the page based on the app type.
5. App types can have common attributes such as id, name and some app type related attributes. These attributes can be defined in a descriptor in the plugin to  generate its own database table with fields to store information about the apps.

This is the initial plan on how we are going to design the app management component. I will update this thread with more information.

Chatura Dilan Perera

Associate Tech Lead
 - WSO2 Inc.
www.dilan.me

Re: [IoT] App Management of IoT Server

Dakshika Jayathilaka
Hi Chathura,

Do we have a plan for managing app versioning, grouping in app publisher and store?

Regards,

Dakshika Jayathilaka
PMC Member & Committer of Apache Stratos
0771100911

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 4:51 PM, Chathura Dilan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Dakshitha,

Yes. We are considering app versioning, grouping as the features of app management core. That should be supported by the store and publisher.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Dakshika Jayathilaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ayyoob Hamza
Hi Chathura,

I have a doubt looking at the above diagram on why we have webapps as part of the app management. Since we are focusing on app managment capabilies to the device types, shouldnt it only be device types.

3. App types are plugable to the app management core.
Are we making the app type to be a seperate entity or is this just a one-to-one map between device types ?.

Thanks,
Ayyoob

Re: [IoT] App Management of IoT Server

Hasunie Adikari
Hi Chatura,

Even though app manager provides both web apps and mobile apps, currently we have only taken mobile apps to the device management side through the app-manager.xml, what will be the actual use case of having web apps in here. AFAIK we got some requirements to create services besides of the mobile apps and its behavior is different from mobile apps. Even though they also having usual apks as same as mobile apps, they are exposed as services. We can use the web apps instead of creating mobile apps such a kind of scenarios. Is it the real use case of in here by having option to add webapps to the app developer or otherwise do we give this option under the mobile apps as usual.

Regards
Hasunie

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Ayyoob Hamza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chathura,

I have a doubt looking at the above diagram on why we have webapps as part of the app management. Since we are focusing on app managment capabilies to the device types, shouldnt it only be device types.

3. App types are plugable to the app management core.
Are we making the app type to be a seperate entity or is this just a one-to-one map between device types ?.

Thanks,
Ayyoob

Hasunie Adikari
Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware
Mobile:+94713350904

Re: [IoT] App Management of IoT Server

Chathura Dilan
Hi Ayoob,

Here the webapps are not a separate entity. App here is a program that users can use on their devices. It could be a native mobile app, web app or even a sms app. What we are doing from publisher/store is facilitating the user to use/get/download/install the app.

Web app refer to a web clip that can be installed on a home screen of device. Once the use click on the web clip it open the app from the mobile browser. Since the user is authorized to use the app, he is able to access the app.

App types are not bound to devices types one to one, instead we have to keep a separate mapping to bind device types to app types. If we consider web apps, web apps can be pushed to many devices regardless of their type.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Ayyoob Hamza <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chathura,

I have a doubt looking at the above diagram on why we have webapps as part of the app management. Since we are focusing on app managment capabilies to the device types, shouldnt it only be device types.

3. App types are plugable to the app management core.
Are we making the app type to be a seperate entity or is this just a one-to-one map between device types ?.

Thanks,
Ayyoob

Chatura Dilan Perera

Associate Tech Lead
 - WSO2 Inc.
www.dilan.me

Re: [IoT] App Management of IoT Server

Chathura Dilan
Hi Hasunie,

In that case they can be considered as a separate app type something like 'Service apps'. It is not needed to categorize them as 'Android apps' although they are apks. Both 'Android apps and service apps can have similar attributes, but they are different when considering the business perspective.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Hasunie Adikari <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mobile:<a href="tel:+94%2071%20335%200904" value="+94713350904" target="_blank">+94713350904

Chatura Dilan Perera

Associate Tech Lead
 - WSO2 Inc.
www.dilan.me

Re: [IoT] App Management of IoT Server

Maninda Edirisooriya
Hi Chathura,

In the EMM scenario the above modal seems fitting well. When it comes to IoT scenarios applications related to IoT devices can be a binary program that should be uploaded to the device. (e.g.: Arduino) If our system can handle binary system updates similar to the Android / IOS apps it will unify the updating and patching functionality of IoT Server.

One way we can do it by adding different adapters like Raspberry Pi adapter and Arduino adapter (similar to Android and IOS adaptors) or if the IoT devices are controlled under a Android device we can push updates to Android devices with a generic API.
WDYT?

Thanks.

Maninda Edirisooriya

lean.enterprise.middleware.

Blog : http://maninda.blogspot.com/
E-mail : [hidden email]
Skype : @manindae
Twitter : @maninda

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Chathura Dilan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Maninda,

Yes that's exactly application platforms (application types) are for. Application platforms can be written for any device platform to distribute resources to the device. It could be a binary file, text file, url or even a firmware upgrade. App platform can be map to any device platform and it is not a 1:1 relationship. It is possible to push an Android application to raspberry pi device which is running on Android Things, or push an simple file that has instructions to run on an Arduino device.

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Maninda Edirisooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks and Best Regards,

Chatura Dilan Perera

Associate Tech Lead
 - WSO2 Inc.