Moving to a user configurable model to set threshold values for APIM analytics instead of percentile values

Moving to a user configurable model to set threshold values for APIM analytics instead of percentile values

Silmy Hasan
Hi all,

According to the current implementation of APIM Analytics , we use percentile values to find out certain threshold values (eg:- Abnormal request count) . Since generating alerts using percentile values creates lots of complexity to the users of the alert, it was decided to move towards a user configurable system where admins and subscribers can set those threshold values directly.

Note
  • There will not be any default values for those thresholds.
  • The alerts will not be generated to the particualr API or application untill the admins or subscribers set a value for those thresholds.
Two possible ways could be identified to let the admins and subscribers to configure these values,
  1.  Let the admins or subcribers set those values in APIM side and publish it to SP as a stream. A siddhi app can be written to listen to the stream an store it in database
  2.  Let the admins or subscriber set a value at SP dashboard itself using a dashboard widget
We are thinking of moving on with the second method since the first one creates complexity on the APIM side.

Proposed solution
Creating two custom widgets in SP dashboard to enable the admins/subscribers perform CRUD operation on those alert configuration tables. There will be two tables namely ApiCreatorAlertConfiguration and ApiSubscriberAlertConfiguration.

Please provide your suggestions.

Thanks,
Silmy

--
Shilmy Hasan
Associate Software Engineer | WSO2

E-mail :[hidden email]
Phone :0779188653
web : http://www.wso2.com

https://wso2.com/signature

Re: Moving to a user configurable model to set threshold values for APIM analytics instead of percentile values

Ishara Cooray
Hi Silmy,
  1.  Let the admins or subcribers set those values in APIM side and publish it to SP as a stream. A siddhi app can be written to listen to the stream an store it in database
  2.  Let the admins or subscriber set a value at SP dashboard itself using a dashboard widget

If we go with option 2 we will need to share the user store with the SP isn't it?
Is there any other usease/s where we need to share the userstore? If not I am +1 to option 1 because that will bring all the configurations into a one single place which is the admin app.

wdyt?

Thanks & Regards,
Ishara Cooray
Senior Software Engineer
Mobile : +9477 262 9512
WSO2, Inc. | http://wso2.com/
Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 7:07 PM, Silmy Hasan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Fazlan Nazeem
Hi Silmy,

Few things to consider when implementing the gadgets.

1) Only users with a specific role(preferably admin) should be able to do CRUD  on those tables. I think we can change this role using SP configurations if a customer intends to allow users with another role to do this task.
2) Since we are letting the user to type in the API name or Application name, we should make sure to update the entry in case the config already exists for the given API or Application.

We do not need to check whether the user is a subscriber. That is not a prerequisite to configure alert thresholds.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 7:08 PM Silmy Hasan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

WSO2 Inc

Re: Moving to a user configurable model to set threshold values for APIM analytics instead of percentile values

Dinusha Dissanayake
Hi Silmy,

[...]

If we are letting subscribers to set the throshold values, the subscriber has to login to SP ? If so, it would reduce the user experience IMO. Can you please explain how the flow goes for subscribers when setting these values?

--
Dinusha Dissanayake
Software Engineer

Re: Moving to a user configurable model to set threshold values for APIM analytics instead of percentile values

Silmy Hasan
Hi Dinusha,

According to what is discussed with the APIM team( Fazlan and chamila) we will let the admins configure values for both tables, and within the SP we will not check whether he is an Api Creator or Subscriber.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Dinusha Dissanayake <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Ishara,

The idea was not to share the user store with SP , Within SP we will not check whether the user is a subscriber or API Creator, we will let the user make changes to those tables if the user is an Admin. The admin can be a subscriber or Api Creator.

Ideally we should have this in publisher portal and store from APIM and publish it from APIM as mentioned in the option 1, but we are thinking of going for the second one because of the request from the APIM team as it creates lot of complexity on their side in publishing this as a stream.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Silmy Hasan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Praminda Jayawardana
Hi All,

We decided to move this from SP to APIM to solve several complications.
  1. Hard to provide API/Application list in SP side. User need to manually type API and Application names
  2. Multi tenancy is not supported in SP.
Current mock UI looks like following in the API Store.

image.png

Thanks,
Praminda

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:07 AM Silmy Hasan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
Mobile : +94 (0) 716 590918

Re: Moving to a user configurable model to set threshold values for APIM analytics instead of percentile values

Fazlan Nazeem
+1.

 Does the drop down have a search functionality in it? Because listing all APIs or Applications in a dropdown may not be scalable.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 9:59 AM Praminda Jayawardana <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Praminda,

Did we add this UI to the APIM 2.6.0 RC3 release? I am unable to find this in publisher/Store portals.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 5:10 PM Praminda Jayawardana <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Fazlan,

Documentation is still an ongoing task.

Thanks,
Praminda