Re: GSOC : OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol Support

12

Re: GSOC : OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol Support

Maduranga Siriwardena
Hi Abilashini,

We are glad to see your interest in doing GSoC with WSO2.

The requirement of the project is to fully implement the Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol [1]. The current implementation of Dynamic Client Registration is in repo [2] and particularly component in [3]. Documentation for OpenID Connect Dynamic Client Registration is in [4].

If you need to get familiarize with the code, you can fix jira already reported regarding dcr implementation which are in [5] (or you can fix any jira in Identity Server project as a start).

Thanks,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am Abilashini from Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Moratuwa. I have done my internship at WSO2 last year (July - December) and worked in the implementation of tomcat extension of OpenID Connect [1]. So I am a little bit familiar with OAuth 2.0 and OpenID Connect protocols. I found the project 'OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol Support' as interesting to work on. Can I have some assistance to understand the details and requirements more clearly behind this project idea?
Also can I have the locations of documentation and code base related to dynamic client registration?

Thanks and Regards
Abilashini

Thiyagarajah Abilashini
Student
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka

--
Maduranga Siriwardena
Software Engineer

Mobile: +94718990591

Re: GSOC : OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol Support

Abilashini Thiyagarajah-2
Hi,

I have worked to understand the specifications and code base related to OAuth 2.0 DCR protocol management. Now I am trying to fix some of the issues that you have shared with me. Can I know the location of dcr component in the server? Or else the way to try my code changes in the dcr component?

Thanks in advance,
Abilashini

Thiyagarajah Abilashini
Student
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka

On 15 March 2017 at 10:26, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Maduranga,

Thank you so much for your reply and references. I will work on to understand the code and fix jira as you said.

Best Regards,

On 15 March 2017 at 01:52, Maduranga Siriwardena <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mobile: <a href="tel:+94%2071%20899%200591" value="+94718990591" target="_blank">+94718990591

Re: GSOC : OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol Support

Maduranga Siriwardena
Hi Abishalani,

The components are in <CARBON_HOME>/repository/components/plugins folder. There you will find org.wso2.carbon.identity.oauth.dcr_5.3.4.jar.

You can checkout the tag v5.3.4 of the repository and then work through the changes to the component. If you are going to apply the changes to the product, you can build the jar and then create folder patch0001 (format of the folder name should be "patch" and then a four digit number. Patches are applied in the order of the number) in <CARBON_HOME>/repository/components/patches and place the newly built jar inside that. After this you have to restart the server. Please note that the for jars you are going patch name should be equal to the original jar in dropins folder.

If you successfully installed the changes, you will be able to notice a log like below at the next start up.

[2017-01-31 21:07:39,035]  INFO {org.wso2.carbon.server.extensions.PatchInstaller} -  Patch changes detected  {org.wso2.carbon.server.extensions.PatchInstaller}
[2017-01-31 21:07:39,513]  INFO {org.wso2.carbon.server.util.PatchUtils.console} -  Backed up plugins to patch0000 {org.wso2.carbon.server.util.PatchUtils.console}
[2017-01-31 21:07:39,525]  INFO {org.wso2.carbon.server.util.PatchUtils.console} -  Patch verification started {org.wso2.carbon.server.util.PatchUtils.console}
[2017-01-31 21:07:39,530]  INFO {org.wso2.carbon.server.util.PatchUtils.console} -  Patch verification successfully completed. {org.wso2.carbon.server.util.PatchUtils.console}

Thanks,

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 7:26 AM, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I am working on the proposal and need some clarifications on the project. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  1. In the specification they did not talk about the validation of requests. Is it required to be considered in the implementation?
  2. Does the deliverable of 'Automation for the implementation' mean the implementation of Quick Start for the feature?
  3. Test automation is not mentioned in the project deliverable. Also I didn't find test classes in the implementation of DCR. So is testing not considered in the scope of this project?
  4. This feature will be implemented within the implementation of existing DCR component. Am I correct?

On 19 March 2017 at 10:08, Maduranga Siriwardena <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Please find my answers inline.

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am working on the proposal and need some clarifications on the project. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  1. In the specification they did not talk about the validation of requests. Is it required to be considered in the implementation?
Yes you have to at least validate the mandatory parameters for the requests. We can decide how much level of validation is needed when going forward with the project.
  1. Does the deliverable of 'Automation for the implementation' mean the implementation of Quick Start for the feature?
This means the test cases for the project. Usually the integration tests for the product are in [1]. I'm not sure whether we have test cases for DCR. But you have to write test cases for the project. We don't have much unit tests. But if you can write the unit tests also, it will be great.
  1. Test automation is not mentioned in the project deliverable. Also I didn't find test classes in the implementation of DCR. So is testing not considered in the scope of this project?
  2. This feature will be implemented within the implementation of existing DCR component. Am I correct?
Not necessarily within DCR component. We can decide whether implementation should be. It can be a separate component in [2].

Thanks,

[...]

I have already shared the draft of proposal [1] in the GSOC profile. Can I have your feedback on it please?

Thank you

On 21 March 2017 at 19:53, Maduranga Siriwardena <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The link you have shared seems to be not accessible any more. However I was able to access the draft proposal you have shared through GSOC Dashboard.

I have added few comments to the draft. Please go through them and try to improve the proposal.

Thanks,

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:16 PM, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Senior Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc; http://wso2.com/

Mobile: +94718990591

Re: GSOC : OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol Support

Abilashini Thiyagarajah-2
Hi Maduranga,

Sorry for the inconvenience occurred with the wrong link.

Thank you for your comments and I am updating the proposal respectively. Also I have replied to some of the comments for clarification. It would be so helpful if I get your comment on those.

I will include the initial design and the the fixed jira issues as soon as possible.

Thanks,

On 27 March 2017 at 20:07, Maduranga Siriwardena <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have already submitted the final proposal. I would like to thank you for your guidance throughout the process of understanding the project and preparing the proposal. Looking forward to work on the project.

Best Regards,
Abilashini

Thiyagarajah Abilashini
Student
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka

On 3 April 2017 at 19:54, Maduranga Siriwardena <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Abishalani,

I will not have time to go through your proposal now. As the deadline is getting closer, please go ahead and submit the proposal.

Thanks,

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Maduranga,

I have included the initial design in the proposal. I kindly request your feedback on it.

Thank you,

On 27 March 2017 at 21:14, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi all,

Thank you so much for accepting my proposal and selecting me to work on the project "OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol support for WSO2 Identity Server" in GSOC 2017. I am so happy to work on a WSO2 project after the internship.

I would like to clarify the plan through out the program. Shall we stick to my project plan in my proposal?

Looking forward to have a fabulous project experience with WSO2 for next 4 months of period.

Thankyou and best regards,

On 3 April 2017 at 20:15, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ishara Karunarathna
Hi,

Congratz Abilashini,

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you so much for accepting my proposal and selecting me to work on the project "OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol support for WSO2 Identity Server" in GSOC 2017. I am so happy to work on a WSO2 project after the internship.

I would like to clarify the plan through out the program. Shall we stick to my project plan in my proposal?
We may have to do some slight modification. Shall we arrange a meeting and discuss tomorrow. ?

Thanks,
Ishara

[...]

Associate Technical Lead
WSO2 Inc. - lean . enterprise . middleware |  wso2.com

email: [hidden email],   blog: isharaaruna.blogspot.com,   mobile: +94717996791

Re: GSOC : OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol Support

Abilashini Thiyagarajah-2
Hi Ishara,

Thank you.

Tomorrow in the sense do you mean Saturday(6.4.2017)?

On 5 May 2017 at 00:51, Ishara Karunarathna <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

email: [hidden email],   blog: isharaaruna.blogspot.com,   mobile: <a href="tel:+94%2071%20799%206791" value="+94717996791" target="_blank">+94717996791

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ishara,

Thank you.

Tomorrow in the sense do you mean Saturday(6.4.2017)?
Its today 5/5/2017 if you available we can have a meeting in the evening.

-Ishara

[...]

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah we can have.
Then lets arrange a hangout from 2-3 pm

[...]

Pushpalanka Jayawardhana
Hi Abilashini,

Appreciate if you can give an update on the current progress of the project.
Were you able to work on DCRM specification and other DCR stabilization issues.

This is just to know the information for planning activities.

Thanks,

Pushpalanka.
--
Pushpalanka Jayawardhana, B.Sc.Eng.(Hons).
Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Lanka (pvt) Ltd;  wso2.com/

Re: GSOC : OAuth 2.0 Dynamic Client Registration Management Protocol Support

Abilashini Thiyagarajah-2
Hi Pushpalanka,

Currently I am working on "Allow multiple locale-specific values for redirect URI like human-readable values in the client meta data section" in the issue https://wso2.org/jira/browse/IDENTITY-5879. Once I complete this part, I will be able to send a pull request as I have fixed the other parts of the specific issue.

Yeah I can work on the DCRM specification as well as the DCR issue fixing.

Thanks,

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Abilashini Thiyagarajah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Pushpalanka,

Currently I am working on "Allow multiple locale-specific values for redirect URI like human-readable values in the client meta data section" in the issue https://wso2.org/jira/browse/IDENTITY-5879. Once I complete this part, I will be able to send a pull request as I have fixed the other parts of the specific issue.

Yeah I can work on the DCRM specification as well as the DCR issue fixing.
That's great! Thanks for the quick reply.
Hope others will also agree that it will be good if we can prioritize DCRM implementation to be completed first, so that it can be tested for issues while others been fixed. WDYT?

[...]

Yeah that would be great.

In the proposal, I have included the specifications of DCRM and the initial design. So can we start from it and modify according to requirements.

For your reference,