Shouldn't we have an admin service method to delete set of users at once?

Shouldn't we have an admin service method to delete set of users at once?

Ushani Balasooriya
Hi IAM Team,

During the implementation of a third party web app to manage users, I wanted to have a feature where I can select few users and delete them at once.

Then I noticed in our admin services we have only below methods to delete users in our UserAdmin service.

addRemoveUsersOfRole - Delete users only in a particular role
deleteUser - Delete one selected user

In deleteUser method allow only one user to delete.

Can you please advice whether this is designed and implemented due to any particular reason or is it a lacking feature in our system? Or is there any other mechanism for me to delete set of users at once?

Appreciate your quick response.

Ushani Balasooriya
Associate Technical Lead - EE;

Re: Shouldn't we have an admin service method to delete set of users at once?

Irham Iqbal
Hi Ushani,

I think you can use the SCIM APIs[1] to do this.

You can create a SCIM group with selected users first and delete that user SCIM group, there are APIs for those two operations.

Thanks,
Iqbal

--
Irham Iqbal
Software Engineer

Re: Shouldn't we have an admin service method to delete set of users at once?

Isura Karunaratne
Hi Ushani,

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Ushani Balasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi IAM Team,

During the implementation of a third party web app to manage users, I wanted to have a feature where I can select few users and delete them at once.

Then I noticed in our admin services we have only below methods to delete users in our UserAdmin service.

addRemoveUsersOfRole - Delete users only in a particular role
deleteUser - Delete one selected user

In deleteUser method allow only one user to delete.

Can you please advice whether this is designed and implemented due to any particular reason or is it a lacking feature in our system? Or is there any other mechanism for me to delete set of users at once?

C4 user core APIs does not support delete multiple users at once. You can loop the deleteUser API to delete set of users.

Thanks
Isura.

Appreciate your quick response.

Ushani Balasooriya
Associate Technical Lead - EE;

--
Isura Dilhara Karunaratne
Associate Technical Lead | WSO2

Re: Shouldn't we have an admin service method to delete set of users at once?

Ushani Balasooriya
Thanks Isura and Irham,

I think still I need to create a group in SCIM call more like a role. Then I can even use addRemoveUsersOfRole in admin services. My requirement was to delete selected users belong to different roles.

I think what Isura has mentioned is an option to proceed. But doesnt it make multiple service calls?

Hi Ushani,

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Ushani Balasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Isura and Irham,

I think still I need to create a group in SCIM call more like a role. Then I can even use addRemoveUsersOfRole in admin services. My requirement was to delete selected users belong to different roles.

I think what Isura has mentioned is an option to proceed. But doesnt it make multiple service calls?

Yes. It does multiple service calls. We can create a custom SOAP/REST service and delete users though a single service call.

You can also try SCIM2 bulk endpoint. [1].

Thanks
Isura.

[...]

Godwin Shrimal
I guess using SCIM API, create a group of required users and delete the group is not a right approach. What Ushani want to is to delete selected set of users. As Isuru mentioned current C4 version doesn't support deleting bulk users. So you have following options.

1. Call deletUser method in admin service and iterately delete required users.
2. Since #1 have multiple network calls, you can create a custom service with deleteUsers method, that method calls deleteUser method in User core and delete required users.

Thanks
Godwin

[...]

Godwin Amila Shrimal
Associate Technical Lead
WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

mobile: +94772264165

Re: Shouldn't we have an admin service method to delete set of users at once?

Isura Karunaratne

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Godwin Shrimal <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess using SCIM API, create a group of required users and delete the group is not a right approach. What Ushani want to is to delete selected set of users. As Isuru mentioned current C4 version doesn't support deleting bulk users. So you have following options.

Yes. But, we should be able to delete multiple users at once using SCIM2 bulk endpoint. [1]

Thanks
Isura.

[...]

Nirodha Gallage
Hi Isura,

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Isura Karunaratne <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Godwin Shrimal <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess using SCIM API, create a group of required users and delete the group is not a right approach. What Ushani want to is to delete selected set of users. As Isuru mentioned current C4 version doesn't support deleting bulk users. So you have following options.

Yes. But, we should be able to delete multiple users at once using SCIM2 bulk endpoint. [1]

​Can you confirm whether this is supported. There is a support ticket[2] with the same request. Can we confirm to the customer that it is supported.
In another thread 'Bulk user deletion using SCIM in WSO2 Identity server' Nilasini has tried out the scenario but have failed, so have you tested this, and can confirm?

Thanks,
Nirodha

Thanks
Isura.