Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Damith Wickramasinghe
Hi Eranga/ All,

In stream processor we support only files with .siddhi extension. Even though it is the case IMO user needs to know that the file should have .siddhi extension. Because one can just copy paste a file to workspace directory of editor without adding the .siddhi extension when he see only files without extension created. And having it there also will not make any UX issues as I see it. Please raise any concerns if we need to accommodate this requirement.

Regards,
Damith

WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

mobile: +94728671315

Re: Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Eranga Liyanage
Hi Damith,

In editors usually, we can edit multiple file types. So when the respective file is opened it shows the file type with it for easy identification.

But in our case, we support only .siddhi files and we open files from our own workspace which contains only siddhi files. Many single file type applications usually do not show its file type on UI.

In the Stream Processor Editor, we usually open multiple siddhi files and in the tab area, it takes unnecessary space to show the .siddhi extension. IMHO it's better to hide it from tab section.

Inline image 1

We can show the .siddhi extension on workspace tree and other file open/import etc. modals.

WDYT?

Best regards,
Eranga

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Damith Wickramasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eranga/ All,

In stream processor we support only files with .siddhi extension. Even though it is the case IMO user needs to know that the file should have .siddhi extension. Because one can just copy paste a file to workspace directory of editor without adding the .siddhi extension when he see only files without extension created. And having it there also will not make any UX issues as I see it. Please raise any concerns if we need to accommodate this requirement.

Regards,
Damith

WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

mobile: <a href="tel:+94%2072%20867%201315" value="+94728671315" target="_blank">+94728671315

--
Eranga Liyanage
Senior UX Engineer | WSO2

Re: Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Damith Wickramasinghe
Hi Eranga,

I understand your point but my only issue is not conveying user that these files use .siddhi extension. So shall we at least keep the .siddhi extension in workspace dropdown as we are showing the actual files there. So that user knows it. And we can remove the .siddhi extensions in tabs. WDYT ?

Regards,
Damith

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Eranga Liyanage <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jason De Silva
Hi Damith / Eranga,

If I am the user I would like to know the extension of the file. So +1 to at least show the .siddhi extension in workspace tree/dropdown if we are removing it from the tabs.

Regards,
Jason

Jason De Silva
Software Engineer - QA
Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B94%20%280%29%20772%20097%20678" value="+94773381250" target="_blank">+94 (0) 772 097 678
Email: [hidden email]
WSO2 Inc. www.wso2.com

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:19 AM, Damith Wickramasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi All,

Yes, we can show the .siddhi extension on workspace tree.

Users first interaction with the file is either Save, Open, or Import. On those interfaces also we show that it's a .siddhi extension file, so users won't get confused by removing it from the tab.

Best regards.
Eranga

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Jason De Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ramindu De Silva
Hi all,

+1 for Erangas suggestion.
We may need to remove the ".siddhi" postfix from "xxxx.siddhi" in save to file placeholder as well. Currently, we, either way, add .siddhi extension when saving the file.

Best Regards,
Ramindu.

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Eranga Liyanage <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc
.: http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

email: [hidden email][hidden email]
mob: <a href="tel:%2B94%20719678895" value="+94782731766" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">+94 719678895

Re: Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Damith Wickramasinghe
Hi All,

Yes +1 . I will inc-operate the changes .

Regards,
Damith

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Ramindu De Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Raveen Rathnayake-2
Hi all,

I have removed  displaying ".siddhi" clause from the tab and removed the ".siddhi" postfix from "xxxx.siddhi" in save to file placeholder as well.  This PR[1] relevant changes.

Thank you.
Raveen.

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 11:53 PM, Damith Wickramasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Raveen Savinda Rathnayake,
Software Engineering Intern,
WSO2 Inc.
lean. enterprise. middleware

Re: Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Grainier Perera
@Raveen, You have used to text.split(".")[0] to to remove .siddhi postfix right. But Siddhi allows having full stop ".", and ".siddhi" in the Siddhi App name. So this might not work... Try something like text.substring(0, text.lastIndexOf(".siddhi"))

@Others, please check whether the editor works properly when the App name have "." or ".siddhi" within. Cause I tried "Receive.And.Count" as the name and the editor log gave me "Receive.siddhi - undefined".

Thanks,
Grainier

WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com

Re: Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Damith Wickramasinghe
@Grainier . Thanks for pointing it out . yes we need to use the substring method. we have use the same split in other areas. we need to fix this.

Regards,
Damith

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 1:54 AM, Grainier Perera <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Senior Software Engineer
Mobile : <a href="tel:+94%2071%20612%202384" value="+94716122384" target="_blank">+94716122384
WSO2 Inc. | http://wso2.com

WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

mobile: +94728671315

Re: Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Sriskandarajah Suhothayan
Can we get it fixed ASAP.

Regards
Suho

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 2:03 AM Damith Wickramasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

S. Suhothayan
Associate Director / Architect
lean . enterprise . middleware

Re: Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Eranga Liyanage
Damith has already fixed this Suho.

Best regards
Eranga

cell: <a href="tel:+94%2077%20975%206757" value="+94779756757" target="_blank">(+94) 779 756 757 | blog: http://suhothayan.blogspot.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/suhothayan | linked-in: http://lk.linkedin.com/in/suhothayan

--
Eranga Liyanage
Senior UX Engineer | WSO2

Re: Stream Processor Editor - Removing .siddhi file extension from showing on the ui

Sriskandarajah Suhothayan
Ok great

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Damith Wickramasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

mobile: <a href="tel:072%20867%201315" value="+94728671315" target="_blank">+94728671315