Web services - Java VS PHP

Lahiru Samarakoon

HI Guys,

I need to develop a web service. The performance is a major factor.  This can be developed using Java or PHP.

What is the preferred language when the performance is concern?

Thanks,

Lahiru

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4983 (20100329) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Web services - Java VS PHP

Samisa Abeysinghe-4

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Lahiru Samarakoon <[hidden email]> wrote:

HI Guys,

I need to develop a web service. The performance is a major factor.  This can be developed using Java or PHP.

What is the preferred language when the performance is concern?

What are your performance expectations?

Samisa...

Thanks,

Lahiru

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4983 (20100329) __________

http://www.eset.com

Samisa Abeysinghe
Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.

http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

Re: Web services - Java VS PHP

Lahiru Samarakoon

Hi Samisa,

As a company we are in a process of developing customizable and reusable call flows and monitoring modules using web APIs.

Since this is a long term strategy, it is hard to express the performance expectations specifically.

All the requests will be synchronous and most of them will involve database transactions.

Generally, response time and the memory usage are the key factors.

Thanks,

Lahiru

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Lahiru Samarakoon <[hidden email]> wrote:

HI Guys,

I need to develop a web service. The performance is a major factor.  This can be developed using Java or PHP.

What is the preferred language when the performance is concern?

What are your performance expectations?

Samisa...

Thanks,

Lahiru

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4983 (20100329) __________

http://www.eset.com

Samisa Abeysinghe
Director, Engineering - WSO2 Inc.

http://wso2.com/ - "lean . enterprise . middleware"

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4984 (20100330) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Web services - Java VS PHP

Samisa Abeysinghe-4
Is your main concern providing services, or consuming those and presenting those to users with Web based presentation?

If i is former, Java might sound a better approach. If it is the latter, PHP might be the better approach.

If database is involved, and you are interested in looking into exposing data as services, then you should also look into data services solution that we have, which is available as both Java as well as PHP.

I cannot in general say, if Java or PHP would be better in terms of performance, without having a clear context into what the application really is.
However, if high performance is a real concern, the you might want to take up WSF/C or C++

Samisa...

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Lahiru Samarakoon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Samisa,

As a company we are in a process of developing customizable and reusable call flows and monitoring modules using web APIs.

Since this is a long term strategy, it is hard to express the performance expectations specifically.

All the requests will be synchronous and most of them will involve database transactions.

Generally, response time and the memory usage are the key factors.

Thanks,

Lahiru

Re: Web services - Java VS PHP

Lahiru Samarakoon