memory leaks

Fabian Panthen
Downgrading to php 5.2 we eventually got wsf/php working again.
We are however experiencing serious memory leaks in the wsf client,
which are also being widely reported in the online wsf/php forum.

Is there another release planned this year?

Kind regards

fabian

Re: memory leaks

Samisa Abeysinghe-4
We will do a release with these fixes ASAP.

Did you observe the leaks with httpd process consuming more memory or using some other means? Can you provide a memory profile?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Fabian Panthen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Downgrading to php 5.2 we eventually got wsf/php working again.
We are however experiencing serious memory leaks in the wsf client,
which are also being widely reported in the online wsf/php forum.

Is there another release planned this year?

Kind regards

fabian

Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.
http://wso2.com
http://wso2.org

Re: memory leaks

Samisa Abeysinghe-4

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Samisa Abeysinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nandika should be the best person to provide a release timeline.

In the mean time, on your question of deployment, while it works on Windows, the combination "Linux, httpd and mod php" should work fine

What are the problems you are facing?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Fabian Panthen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Samisa,

that is great news! Do you already have a vague time frame for the release?
Also i tried posting the message below to this list hoping to gather some collective experience from this list
as input for our architectural overhall. We are setting up a new php 5.3 insance to test various options for an optimized wso2 service stack
or possibly a replacement, so doing this with the new version (or if a release is to be expected soon and since this is a test system - even the TRUNK?)
might be a good idea, as well as following a setup that has been proven to work well.
Not sure why this particular message won't get through, I probably just used the wrong email address.
Either way any hints or advice as to how wso2 is best run in terms of os and apache setup is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

fabian

My previous message:

Hello,

due to ongoing problems with our existing setup we are starting an evaluation of different options for our service stack.
We want to include wso2 in that process and therefore ask here on the list which sort of setup people have had the best experience with.

Our preconditions are:

* Linux OS
* PHP 5.3
* use of an opcode cache

For anything covering these preconditions we would love to hear how you have made it work bets for you, which includes

* linux distro and version
* wso2 version
* webserver plattform, version, compile options
* type and version of opcode cache
* php setup (module, fastCGI,..)

Any suggestions are welcome, so how did you make it work and how happy are you with the results?

Kind regards,

Fabian

Am 14.04.2011 um 01:46 schrieb Samisa Abeysinghe:

We will do a release with these fixes ASAP.

Did you observe the leaks with httpd process consuming more memory or using some other means? Can you provide a memory profile?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Fabian Panthen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Downgrading to php 5.2 we eventually got wsf/php working again.
We are however experiencing serious memory leaks in the wsf client,
which are also being widely reported in the online wsf/php forum.

Is there another release planned this year?

Kind regards

fabian

Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.
http://wso2.com
http://wso2.org

Thanks,
Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.
http://wso2.com
http://wso2.org

Thanks,
Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering
WSO2 Inc.
http://wso2.com
http://wso2.org

Re: memory leaks

Samisa Abeysinghe-4

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Fabian Panthen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Samisa and thanks for your reply.

Nandika should be the best person to provide a release timeline.

he did however not want to commit to any timeframe the last time i asked, which is why I was so very positively struck by your statement.
we would consider giving the trunk a try if we knew that it was mainly bug fixing that is going on there and not heavy work in progress feature development

Yes this is going to be mainly a bug fix release. We have not done any major new features as of late.

In the mean time, on your question of deployment, while it works on Windows, the combination "Linux, httpd and mod php" should work fine

What are the problems you are facing?

with php 5.3 under ubuntu lenny we experienced regular but random segmentation faults in apache2 with mod php.
we now run php 5.2 as fastCGI which does not crash but has severe memory leaks so that we have to recycle each fastCGI process after about 5 requests to
keep it stable.

It would be helpful if you could send the core dump, and a leak profile. Please create a Jira issue in the issue tracker and we should be able to have a look.

we are running in wsdl mode with annotations which besides the memory issues works like a charm, but only under php 5.2

the idea now is to set up a new system from scratch with php 5.3 and see if we can somehow make it work better this time.
You said you had good experience with running php as a module? was that in apache2? are there issues I have to be particulary aware of
when using apache, i.e. don't use provided binaries, compile options, install certain dev packages?
Maybe lenny or ubuntu as such are not the right choice? If you know of stable production systems, what setup do they use?

Kind regards,

fabian